[Koha] Backing up 3.0

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jan 7 21:48:51 NZDT 2009

Mahesh T. Pai wrote:

> What are pros and cons of making a backup of /var/lib/mysql/ ??

Cons: don't do it! If you do, you *must* stop the mysqld daemon first.

Pros: there aren't any.

Read up on mysqldump. It allows you to take a live but integral backup of
a running mysql system, "on the fly".

A compressed database dump is as easy as something like the following:

mysqldump --opt Koha | gzip > Koha-db-backup.sql.gz

The output from mysqldump is a set of SQL statements that can be rerun
anytime to re-create the database snapshot taken at backup time.

> What is there in /usr/share/koha/* to be backed up? I mean, if
> something here is corrupted / goes bad, would not a simple re-install
> of koha work? Further, if Koha stores user / login info here, is this
> not a violation of the Filesystem Standards? Should not such info go
> into some place under /var/ ??

AFAIK, there should be nothing in /usr/share/koha to backup. Of course,
you should save any customisations you have made to the Koha source
tree, but that is not really part of backup, is it?

You should also backup any config files in /etc and poke around in
/var for anything you might want to keep, like log files.

cheers
rickw

p.s. if there is a violation of the Filesystem Standards, who do we call?