[Koha] Ubuntu based distro

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:54:23 NZDT 2009

Slight OT for this thread, but for people who may be interested ...

Mason James <mason.loves.sushi at gmail.com> writes:

 > lets keep it simple - and stay focused on the koha debian package first

I had to re-do the Koha install I had done couple of weeks
back.(details were posted here).

This time, I choose Debian _experimental_. Started with an etch
netboot ISO on a USB stick, installed the base operating system,
upgraded to testing and then to experimental. (I know, it IS very
adventurous. People will fry me alive for using debian experimental on
a production server; but Debian experimental is more stable than RHEL
they wanted to implement Koha on).

And installed Koha 3.00.00 from the tarball.

I think the list in install_misc/debian.packages are incomplete, since
Makefile.PL complained about missing dependencies.

After running make and "make install", I had installed CGI::Session
and some other perl libraries from CPAN. _after_ this, I found that
experimental has 4.40-1 of CGI::Session, so went ahead and installed it.

I was stuck for about half an hour, since I forgot to edit the
NameVirtualHost directive in ports.conf. Otherwise, it took me about 3
hours in all to install the OS _and_ koha. (Downloads took a bit of
time - I was downloading everything over a 512 Kbps connection).

After all this, I now hear that somebody here (in Kerala - possibly a
quasi-governmental organisation) is distributing a 2CD pack for
installing Koha. One CD contains the OS (a live CD with option to
install to the disk, presumably), and a CD containing Koha tarball. I
am told that once the OS is installed, all the user needs to do is to
pop in the CD and run a script, which will then do everything
required. Hoo!!!

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://paivakil.blogspot.com
The wisdom of nations lies in their proverbs,