[Koha] advice on re-installing (in order to fix utf8 issues)?

Jeffrey LePage jeffrey_lepage at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 10:21:36 NZDT 2009

Hello all,

We have a mostly running Koha 3.00 installation that has had continuing problems with indexing failing due to the presence of wide characters in records.  These wide characters seem to originate from both our imports of marc records and attempted imports of Z39.50 searches.

I'm wondering if I should take advantage of the new 3.0.1 release to do a new install.

We do not use zebra for indexing since we're a small library.  This may have been a poor decision.

Looking over this doc: http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=encodingscratchpad
and comparing it to our mysql database it looks as if the encoding is set up wrong.  According to this doc: "You must create your Koha database after you set the character set defaults otherwise the database could be set to the wrong defaults "

If I do a new install I will install on a different machine.  We're using ubuntu now, but we can easily use a different Linux distro.  I notice that the docs seem to be oriented toward fedora or debian.