[Koha] End-user raining, MARC for UK, hosted installation, Search

Nelson Fredsell -CCE nelson at cfce.org.za
Tue Feb 24 00:30:11 NZDT 2009

Thanks to all who have responded to my earlier question as we consider the
feasibility of using Koha in our very small libraries.

1)      Has anyone experienced insurmountable learning-curve difficulties in
terms of librarian use and administration?  One of our libraries is staffed
by someone with minimal computer skills.  Another is self-serve (user
self-checkout), with books catalogued by our tertiary work-study students
and very little oversight.  I'm wondering to what extent support for these
folks could be handled remotely.  ie Will Koha fly if no one is physically
present to mind the shop, from the technical side, once it's set up and the
software works smoothly.

2)      MARC - English language books not published in the U.S. - I've run a
few ISBN numbers thru the z39.50 Search and come up empty-handed against the
Library of Congress.  Often, our books were published in the UK.  Does the
UK have a preferred "Search target"?

3)      Running Koha on a shared box versus dedicated.  What about running a
Content Management System (CMS), wiki, or some other program simultaneously.
With fewer than 50 transactions per day we might be paying too much for a
hosted service.

4)      Special Search features.  We have a special cataloguing number for
some of our books, is it possible to display this number on the results,
after a person does a search?  Would I enter this number during the MARC
cataloguing?   Where? - there's so many fields!  What about cataloguing
chapter summaries for a book?  Where might one enter this info?

Thanks for any responses,

Nelson

Centre for Creative Education

Cape Town, South Africa