[Koha] Diacritics

Rudolph, Roy roy.rudolph at longy.edu
Thu Feb 19 07:13:47 NZDT 2009

Hi,

I just joined the list.  I have little technical understanding of the back end of Koha, but maybe someone knows an answer to this problem:

When searching our catalog ( http://mlon.masscat.org/ ), Koha doesn’t ignore diacritics.  So, for example, au,phr: bartok, bela won’t get any hits because the author’s name has diacritics: Bartók, Béla.  Pasting in the search term with the accents, I get 231 hits.

Names like Fauré, Gabriel, Kœchlin, Charles and Dvořák, Antonín are other examples (we are a music school and our library’s holdings includes lots of music scores and sound recordings with names and titles in German, French, Czech, etc.)

This is very confusing to our patrons—they can’t find things they are looking for.  Is there any way to fix this so diacritics are ignored?

Roy Rudolph

Director

Bakalar Library

Longy School of Music