[Koha] speeding things up--barcoding our collection

David Schuster dschust1 at tx.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 15:58:12 NZDT 2009

Couple of suggestions:

1 - if you are using a support company - getting the "biblios" numbers from
the Koha system and seeing if they can link the barcode based on Biblio's
number would be helpful from your CSV file...

2 - If you are using 3.0 - again with the biblios number as the match you
would have to build your csv/excel file into a MARC file - but using the
999? where biblios number is stored I believe - import item information in
batch(need testing to make sure you get all the fields)

3 - use a macro key as you type in the information to Koha so that all you
have to do is enter certain pieces.  I've built a macro using something from
a previous life(jtautoentry - by Jim Taylor - Free...)
http://jtdata.com/ - I've built a script that fills in most of the fields,
and then "pauses" for a stated amount of time before it goes to the next
field.  It works as long as you know what you are doing and typing fairly
regularly...

Hope that helps...

4 - Send your shelf list in and get barcodes printed with information on
each record etc...  Several companies do that, but then you still have to
match the barcode to the right book - and maybe doesn't solve your situation
getting the data into Koha...

Good luck!

David Schuster
dschust1 at gmail.com