[Koha] Acq Module - What is a Planning Category?

Nicolas Morin nicolas.morin at biblibre.com
Mon Dec 21 21:42:36 NZDT 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the new acquisitions module I see a Planning Category on
> the budget form.  When I click that item I see a list of all of the
> authorized values in my system... what exactly is a planning category
> and what should I want to put in there?

When you plan in advance for the way your budget is going to be spent,
you initially plan for how it's going to be spent over time, that's
the most natural thing to do, I think. So you plan for $1000 in Jan.
1000$ in Feb., 3000$ in March, etc.

You can basically do the same thing with a list of values in lieu of
the months. Say you have a list like this one:
< 1 month
< 6 months
< 1 year
< 3 years
< 10 years
> 10 years
The list is meant to represent when the books acquired where published.

Then you plan for it, saying: we went to spend at list 40% of our
budgets on books published less than a year ago, 10% on books more
than 10 years old, etc.

Upon acquiring new material, you'll be able to select, for a given
item, a value from this list in a drop down.

Then, after the material has been acquired, at the end of the year,
you'll be able to compare the goals set, with what's been achieved.

Hope that helps,
Nicolas

> Thanks
> Nicole