[Koha] A few Koha holds questions

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Aug 28 05:00:14 NZST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Agnes Rivers-Moore<arm at hanover.ca> wrote:

> 1) I ran Holds Queue and Holds to pull. They both appear to present the same
> information except that Holds to pull can be narrowed by date range. Do you
> know any other difference between them?

The primary difference for our purposes is that the Holds Queue report
lets you filter by branch. In our 7-branch system this is a
requirement.  In our system the Holds to Pull report returns no
results. We were told that Holds Queue was the one to use, perhaps
because our system is not configured to use the Holds to Pull report?
Although the manual doesn't say anything about that report requiring a
cron job.

> 2) Both reports list holds that are already at 'waiting' status, which seems
> unhelpful to me for the Holds to pull report. Also not as described in the
> Koha manual. (We are on 3...107, MaxPickupDelay is 7 days, and we do have
> ReservesNeedReturn ON.)

In my experience the Holds Queue report does not include items which
are waiting.

> 3) Neither report seems to list any holds for items that are currently
> checked out. I need a report that does this as we as staff need to watch for
> holds on items that are overdue and unlikely to be returned. Is one of the
> above supposed to include holds for items that are currently checked out? Do
> you know of a report for this or should I go get my SQL for Dummies?

Neither report lists holds for items which are checked out because the
purpose of the report is to give a list for librarians to take to the
stacks so they can pull items with holds. I'm not aware of a built-in
report which fits your description.

> Lastly, on a related problem - when placing a 'specific copy' hold
> (intranet) the system reverts to 'next available'. I remember reading
> discussion of this but can't find it again now I need it.  Do you know
> whether this has been fixed - or was it maybe caused by some code being
> missing from the install?

Do you mean that after placing the item-level hold the list of holds
indicates that just-placed hold is "next available" rather than "Only
item XXXXX?" I'm not aware that this is a known bug, but a quick test
suggests that it doesn't exist in the latest version.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries