[Koha] Displaying book covers or thumbnails on search result

Dibyendra Hyoju dibyendra at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 02:56:53 NZST 2009

Hi Nicole,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Our library "Madan
Puraskar Pustakalaya" archives Nepali library materials. We were
suggested to use the tag 866$a to store the electronic resource as a
hyperlink, and we have copied the images of cover pages to our
wesbite.

Our record looks like follows in which a hyperlink is placed on the
856$a, linking to the book cover:

=LDR  01343nam  2200265Ka 4500
=008  20090808s1986\\\\ii\\\\\\\\\\\\000\f\nep\d
=020  \\$6880-01$cMūlya: 15.00
=100  1\$6880-02$aKshatrī, Līlabahādura.
=245  10$6880-03$aBrahmaputrakā chheu chhāu /$cLekhak Līlabahādura Kshatrī.
=260  \\$6880-04$aDārjīliṅa :$bŚyāma Prakāśana,$c[2043] 1986$e(Banāras
:$fPrakāśa Prinṭiṅa Presa)
=300  \\$6880-05$a173 p. ;$c22 cm.
=500  \\$aCopyright holder: the author.
=500  \\$aNovel.
=546  \\$aIn Nepali.
=856  40$ahttp://madanpuraskar.org/images/bookcovers/bhramaputra_11040.jpg
=852  \\$aMadan Puraskar Pustakalaya$ePatandhoka, Lalitpur,
Nepal$xAccession no.: 11040

As we cannot find the book jackets of Nepali books on Amazon,
Librarything, Google books, etc., we're scanning the book jackets
ourselves and putting them on our own website. If images cannot be
imported from the MARC record, It would be great if we could display
the book cover from our records in some other mechanism.

Also, If ISBN is mandatory for loading book jackets, there will be a
problem for most of our old Nepali records which don't have ISBN. I am
hopeful that there might be some other alternative way to load book
covers for the records lacking ISBN.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanking you,
Dibyendra