[Koha] Apache bandwidth tuning in default config

Pablo A. Bianchi pbianchi at fi.uba.ar
Fri Aug 21 09:46:08 NZST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:41 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> I suspect there may be some education-sector users who have still not
> upgraded to 2.x and need time to update their policy, but I hope that
> they'll reply to this email and let us know!

This configuration on Koha's apache virtualhost setup could work for
Apache 2.x (deflate) and 1.x (gzip)?

<IfModule mod_gzip.c>
    mod_gzip_on yes
    mod_gzip_dechunk yes
    mod_gzip_keep_workfiles No
    mod_gzip_can_negotiate yes
    mod_gzip_update_static No
    mod_gzip_temp_dir /tmp
    mod_gzip_minimum_file_size 512
    mod_gzip_maximum_file_size 1000000
    mod_gzip_maximum_inmem_size 1000000
    mod_gzip_handle_methods GET POST
    mod_gzip_item_exclude reqheader "User-Agent: .*Mozilla/4\..*\["
    mod_gzip_item_exclude mime ^image/.*
    mod_gzip_item_exclude rspheader Content-Type:image/*
    mod_gzip_item_include file \.js$
    mod_gzip_item_include mime ^application/x-javascript$
    mod_gzip_item_include file \.php$
    mod_gzip_item_include mime ^text/html$
    mod_gzip_item_include file \.css$
    mod_gzip_item_include mime ^text/css$
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>

    # Compress content with type html, text, and css, ...
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain text/html text/xml text/css
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
application/xhtml+xml application/rss+xml application/javascript
application/x-javascript

    DeflateCompressionLevel 9

    # Properly handle old browsers that do not support compression
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
    BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

    DeflateFilterNote Input instream
    DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
    DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio

    LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
        #properly handle requests coming from behind proxies
        Header append Vary User-Agent
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>