[Koha] Support for Koha

Darrell Ulm darrellulm at smfpl.org
Sun Aug 9 17:01:00 NZST 2009

Chris Cormack <chris at ...> writes:

> content, but to contend that Krishnan was trying to say that there
> should be no commercial interests involved with Koha is just totally
> missing the point. He was saying that being part of the community is
> better than locking yourself off.
>
> Chris

Chris,

Right, I do see his point, and that is why I was making the RedHat point.

RedHat has done several things with Linux to wall itself off from the rest of
the community. They are not at all as open as Debian. However, they are involved
in the One Laptop Per Child Project and have done a great deal for Linux. Their
huge IPO fueled open source development not only in Linux but across the board.

Yes, RedHat walled itself off in several instances because they did not want to
go out of business, but they gave back also. There has to be a quid pro quo
because developers cannot eat code.

RedHat is not perfect for walling themselves off, and they have. But would Linux
be as advanced today if it were not for their business model? This is just an
open question.

-
Darrell Ulm