[Koha] Support for Koha

Darrell UIlm darrellulm at smfpl.org
Sun Aug 9 08:53:05 NZST 2009

Krishnan M <kmlist at ...> writes:

> But the carefree winds that once fanned the free flow of ideas, the plentiful
showers that nourished the soil, the rivers that brought it prosperity, and the
abundant sunshine that provided energy soon decided to shun those parts that lay
within the fence. The goodwill of the many failed to reach the people inside the
fence, not that it was ever withheld...

> Slowly, the land within became barren, ..., and failed...

This sounds like RedHat Linux? Right!?

Ask yourselves, would Linux be where it is without RedHat?

And, of course, if you do not care for RedHat, do what I do, use CentOS. It is
*very* stable - and free! The stability would not be there without RedHat, and
it would not be honest to say CentOS is possible without RedHat.

IBM has been a big player with Linux. The large corporate sponsorships are
important if a project is going to mature.

While 20 years ago I would have agreed that corporations should stay out of
anything DIY (open source), now I can say that corporate sponsorships and grants
are why many open source projects are actually good.

We aren't talking about some romantic poetic notion here - like the meaning of
life. We are talking about software which when you look at it, is basically a
type of machine, an invention.

And without proper backing, all ideas eventually end up as footnotes in the
lists of all possible inventions.

Darrell Ulm