[Koha] Support for Koha

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 6 05:15:22 NZST 2009

Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall at gmail.com> wrote:
> MJ wrote:
> >Yes, I feel anyone commissioning Koha hosting should probably add a
> >clause that requires they get a copy of the exact version used in the
> >hosting and access to all their data and configuration files on
> >demand, so they can host it on their own server if they want.  Maybe
> >we should add a "download all" link in the Tools section and mention
> >it in the official manual?  If that's missing/disabled, users will
> >know to start plotting an escape.
>
> Wouldn't this be a good use for the AGPL? Have any notable projects
> switched to the Affero GPL license?

Some projects have switched to the Affero GPL license, but I feel it's
not even clear whether the Affero GPL is a free software licence
without additional permissions from copyright holders that pointing to
the mainline repositories constitutes compliance; and that
rate-limiting that download is OK.  Having to offer the complete thing
as a download from your servers to all users (even vexatious ones)
seems like it would be an unacceptable extra burden on already
cash-strapped libraries.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Affero GPL doesn't require that you
can backup/restore all your data easily either, so there would still
be ways for hosting providers to lock in libraries.

To me, the underlying flaw in the Affero GPL is the idea that
licensors can "ensure cooperation" (AGPLv3 first sentence) whereas
"Voluntary and Open Membership" is the first cooperative principle.
Forced collaboration is coercion, not cooperation.  Cooperation is
voluntary and GPL enables cooperation - now it's up to each of us to
choose whether we ask for it.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software