[Koha] Step by Step guide for generating barcodes in Koha 2.2.9 Windows Version

Scott Owen sowen at edzone.net
Fri Sep 12 01:50:24 NZST 2008

here is the process I've come up with....

Barcodes & labels

Free barcode 39 font    http://www.squaregear.net/fonts/free3of9.shtml

Free (for non-profit and edu) label making/design software
http://www.idautomation.com/labelsoftware/free/

On the server use MySQLAdmin (GUI) > Query Browser > select (double
click) on "items" (the query should pop-up in the query window) (SELECT
* FROM items I;)

use a multi-table MySQL query to pull all of the data from both the
biblio and items tables into a single "outputable" table, then export to
CSV.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread22066.html

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=377068&seqNum=7
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=377068&seqNum=7>

the SQL query :

SELECT biblio.biblionumber, biblio.title, items.barcode,
items.itemcallnumber FROM biblio, items WHERE biblio.biblionumber =
items.biblionumber;

Will produce (in my case) a CSV like

biblionumber

title

barcode

itemcallnumber

1

Novell's ZENworks administrator's handbook /

1

2

The New York Public Library desk reference.

30525

031 new

3

Picture perfect /

36003

FIC PIC

6

Just listen :

30431

FIC DES

5

The lovely bones :

30319

FIC SEB

8

Unexplained /

109541

001.94 ALL

9

Whatever happened to Janie? /

109542

10

The bad beginning /

50000

F SNI

11

The field guide /

50003

F DIT

12

The clique :

109528

F HAR

(note: As you get into larger and larger biblionumbers you may want to
add a > to the query:

SELECT biblio.biblionumber, biblio.title, items.barcode,
items.itemcallnumber FROM biblio, items WHERE biblio.biblionumber>4 =
items.biblionumber;

The >4 causes the query to only show rows where the biblionumber is
(greater than)> 4)

 From this point, it's just a few quick steps to have the CSV ready to
print labels.

1. Delete the biblionumber column.

2. Add a column for our School name

3. Install the free barcode 39 font (unzip and drag the 2 font files to
your c:\windows\fonts folder)

4. Create your labels with the label making/design software

5. Link your CSV to the label software and......print labels.

6. or......Purchase a Brother QL-500 (comes with it's own software that
works almost exactly like the free stuff)