[Koha] Proprietary database import

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 22 09:24:58 NZDT 2008

Check out Apatar, it¹s a free ³Data Mashup Tool² that allows you to drag
data connectors onto a desktop (each connector has credentials associated
with it) and then you can connect fields from each data connector to ³mash
up tools² where you can manipulate the data however you want and then output
to another data connector. This includes, lookups, concatenations,
extractions, etc...

These guys make their money on custom connectors, but the list of db sources
already included is pretty big.... .CSV, MySQL, Postgres, MS-SQL, Amazon S3,
SalesForce, text, excel, etc...

http://www.apatar.com

/brian chee

On 10/21/08 10:01 AM, "Damien Davis" <damien.davis at gmx.com> wrote:

> I have been given the task of migrating a SydneyPlus library database into a
> fresh koha install. Unfortunately this proprietary vendor doesn't make a
> smooth transitioning tool available so I'm wondering what the best way to go
> about this would be. I'm not very versed in Mysql and so far my only two clear
> ideas involve using a script to crawl the web pages of the current database to
> gather the information or to export the Mysql database table by table. I
> really don't know if either of those two things are viable and someone
> mentioned that I might be able to automatically generate the information from
> other libraries using a Z39.50 client but I'm not sure about that either. The
> library has eight thousand books. I appreciate any insight you guys can give
> me on this.

Brian Chee
University of Hawai'i at Manoa
School of Ocean and Earth Sciences and Technology (SOEST)
2525 Correa Road, HIG 500
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: 808-956-5797; Fax: 866-750-5948 Venali eFax