[Koha] Koha for library with special needs

Krzysztof Wlodarski iamkrzys at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 14:49:50 NZDT 2008

We are considering to use Koha for a library at the Polish Cultural Foundation.   The library has about 10,000 books which are mostly in Polish.  The foundation is based in the U.S. and most patrons have computers configured with U.S. keyboard and they would not know or go to the trouble of localizing they keyboards to support Polish characters.  Hence it is critical for us that the search can be performed using "normalized" keywords where all Polish special characters could be replaced with English "equivalents".  For example, a city name "Łódź" could be found by typing "Lodz".

So far we have experimented a little with Koha (I think version 2.2, but I am not sure since someone else configured it), and we were able to import some Polish titles and find them by entering exact Polish spelling, however, replacing special Polish characters with English equivalents did not seem to work.

Does anyone know if "normalization" in searches can be done, and if so how to turn it on?

If not, is it supported by any commercial version of Koha?

Thank you in advance,

Krzysztof

http://mail.yahoo.com