[Koha] Migration issues

Phil Duffy philip.duffy at hammonds.com
Wed Oct 15 04:38:34 NZDT 2008

Hi

I'm in the process of evaluating Koha with a view to migrating our old
Inmagic/Progress system to it in the new year. I've got a Win version of
2.2.9 up and running, on which I understand the z39.5 client doesn't work.

I was wondering if anyone has any experiences they'd be willing to share on
migrating to Koha.

My first thought is that I'll need to map the fields in my Progress DB to
the relevant table/field in MySQL as I don't have the data in a MARC format
at present and the MARC export feature on the legacy system no longer works.
Or would it be better to wait for v3 on Windows and hope z39 works, export
ISBN and title from the current system and use z39 to create new biblio
records, then adding the item records (somehow). I've no experience of Linux
so don't really want to go down that route and have 50,000 records so want
to keep manual intervention to just quality checking if possible. I'm
probably looking at waiting for v3 anyway as I'll need to have journal
routing as an option.

I could pay someone to do the conversion but where's the fun in that!!%-|

Any ideas/help appreciated!

Phil