[Koha] about postgresql and koha

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Oct 9 06:36:17 NZDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Bradley Peters <koha at moberley.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, ricardo mendoza <koha.spanish at gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi all, I have a question. What is the reason for that Koha does not have
>> support for postgresql 8.3?
>
> I'm not a developer so I don't know the answer to this. However, the
> installer does appear to know about Postgres, but I couldn't get it to
> work.
>
> I'm more familiar with PostreSQL than MySQL so I thought I would try
> setting up Koha to use a Postgres database. The Makefile.PL part of
> the installer allowed me to select PostgreSQL and the first steps on
> the web installer appeared to work (detected the database I'd selected
> for Koha and confirmed user privileges). However, once it got to the
> stage of populating the database I got an errror that I couldn't
> figure out.

PostgreSQL support in Koha 3 is very experimental (as the INSTALL file
mentions IIRC).

The pg version of kohastructure.sql is very out of date and needs to
be brought into sync with the current mysql kohastructure.sql for
starters.

Even granting that you could successfully install the db schema over
pg, none of the sql within koha code has been converted, so things
would still break very badly.

Basically this project was put on ice pending the addition of true db
abstraction in the koha code itself. There has been some discussion of
this for a future version of koha.

Regards,
Chris