[Koha] Searching UTF-8 entries [Koha 3.01.00.002]

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:03:20 NZDT 2008

H. S. wrote:

> In mysql that i have, I get this:
>
> mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character\_set\_%';
> +--------------------------+--------+
> | Variable_name            | Value  |
> +--------------------------+--------+
> | character_set_client     | latin1 |
> | character_set_connection | latin1 |
> | character_set_database   | latin1 |
> | character_set_filesystem | binary |
> | character_set_results    | latin1 |
> | character_set_server     | latin1 |
> | character_set_system     | utf8   |
> +--------------------------+--------+
> 7 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>

> So even though my system is utf8, mysql databases are being created in
> latin1. Is my understanding correct?

Just found out that my koha database is in latin1 encoding:
mysql> SHOW CREATE DATABASE koha;
+----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

+----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| koha     | CREATE DATABASE `koha` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET
latin1 */ |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
mysql>

Now the next big thing is to convert the database to utf8. Now, I have
some text in a different language (for example the name of the library).
It is displayed properly in the browser. Isn't that text saved in one of
the tables? And what will happen to that if I covert all the tables to
utf8 now?

Thanks.