[Koha] Adding schools as branches to a public library Koha install

Scott Owen sowen at edzone.net
Sat Nov 15 07:00:30 NZDT 2008

Please note: this is all  "As I understand it"........(in ver 2.2.29
win32).......

After getting Koha to use LDAP as an authentication mechanism, (this
requires some editing of the Auth.pm in 2.2.9...I am unsure about 3.0),
when a user logs into the Koha front end (Opac), their LDAP specific
information is pulled from the source (in my case eDirectory) and used
to populate fields in the Koha database.
  This should be a 1 way (read only) transaction, and you should not be
able to update any LDAP/eDirectory info from the Koha
interface.....however, every time a user logs into Koha, it should cause
an update of their information. So if information is changed in LDAP, it
should pull over and update the Koha user information on the users next
login.

At the end of the modifications required in the auth.pm you will find a
section like this:

my %borrower;
        $borrower{cardnumber} = $userid;
        $borrower{firstname} = $memberhash{cn}; # MANDATORY FIELD
        $borrower{surname} = $memberhash{sn}; # MANDATORY FIELD
        $borrower{initials} =
substr($borrower{firstname},0,1).substr($borrower{surname},0,1)."  "; #
MANDATORY FIELD
        $borrower{streetaddress} = $memberhash{postalAddress}." "; #
MANDATORY FIELD
        $borrower{city} = $memberhash{l}." "; # MANDATORY FIELD
        $borrower{phone} = $memberhash{telephoneNumber}." "; # MANDATORY
FIELD
        $borrower{branchcode} = "PINE"; # MANDATORY FIELD
        #$borrower{emailaddress} = $memberhash{mail};
        #$borrower{categorycode} = $memberhash{employeeType};

on the left of the = is the Koha specific database field, on the right,
your LDAP attribute.
These mappings can also be hard coded (as I did on the branchcode line).

To add attributes to NDS accounts (homeroom, class1, class2, teacher,
etc....) and map those attributes to LDAP requires a fair amount of
knowledge regarding NDS/LDAP and could require some time on the Novell
developer web site....with that said..........
in a nutshell:
1. Create NDS Attributes, assign them to the correct classes.
2. Create LDAP Attributes.
3. Map those two attributes together.
4. Add data.
5. Bulk modify the attributes for your users (from your SIS?)
6. Add the appropriate lines to the auth.pm (as shown above) to pull the
data into the correct Koha fields.

Steps 1 and 2 are the hard part......if someone knows of an easy way to
do those....I'd love to hear it....

Because of my relatively small size (2,500 student) I should be able to
get away with entering the homeroom, teacher, etc.. data into existing
unused NDS and LDAP attributes...ie: "Fax Number" (not to many of my
students have fax numbers....) and then just rename the output fields
for reporting and such.

Good luck.
-S