[Koha] Adding schools as branches to a public library Koha install

Scott Owen sowen at edzone.net
Wed Nov 12 03:54:51 NZDT 2008

My .02
(using Koha 2.2.9 on Win32...)

-- I agree with the shared catalog....that way students can borrow books
from any school in the district.

--if they are a  school of any size....they probably already have a
directory (LDAP/Active Directory/eDirectory)....might be easier to
connect to their existing student directory rather that deal with the
bother of importing/updating etc etc ect....
I made an initial mistake and imported students in to the Koha
database...shouldn't have done that.....over this next summer, I will be
removing them and setting up Koha to authenticate users via Novell's
eDirectory (LDAP).

--We add the home room teacher, and grade level to the student data (we
are a small district so it's all we really need) using the sort1 and
sort2 entries.

-- For custom reports (overdue report that shows home room teacher and
grade ) , I added PHP to the server, and use a PHP class to query the
MySQL database and present XML formated output, I then use stylesheets
to output the XML in browser readable PHP. This pretty much allows me to
generate any report imaginable.