[Koha] Koha 3 indexing problem

Jason Macki jmacki at iisd.ca
Fri Nov 7 10:57:11 NZDT 2008

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response.

>> Did you populate the "marc" and "marcxml" fields of the biblioitems table?

I did populate those fields. However, since MINISIS (our old library system) doesn't export marc records, I had to write a program to create the marc data in xml and ISO format, so they may contain errors.

>> I'm guessing not, since if you had the MARC available, you could have just imported the data from that format directly.

I've been trying to import the data directly to the data tables since it's my understanding that the bulk import script won't import holding information. However, if I can't get this approach to work, I will attempt to use the bulk import feature to import the biblioitem information, then update the data tables with the item information.

I'm finding it tricky to verify that the ISO marc content is valid. Can anyone recommend an application or script that can validate ISO marc records?

One of the details that I wasn't 100% sure on was which characters to use for field and record separators. I've been using ascii character 30 as a field separator and ascii character 29 as a record separator, following advice I read on a bulletin board somewhere. Is that correct?

The best documentation I could find for marc files is here, but it isn't specific about what the separator characters should be:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/um11to12.html

Thanks,
Jason