[Koha] "Software error" on Web page

Mitchell, Michael Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu
Fri May 9 00:58:51 NZST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: newsgroup.posts at gmail.com [mailto:newsgroup.posts at gmail.com] On
Behalf Of Ricardo Dias Marques
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:24 PM
To: Mitchell, Michael
Cc: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Subject: Re: [Koha] "Software error" on Web page

Hi Michael,

On Fri, May 2, 2008, Mitchell, Michael <Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu>
wrote:

> I spent yesterday trying to get a fresh install of Debian Etch and
> Koha3Beta following the instructions maintained by Joshua Ferraro at
> http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=INSTALL.debian;
> h=  1c35e8098c561f3f563b9c8f5f7e5844c60cdab5;hb=HEAD. After many false

> starts I finally got to this point on my web browser when connecting
> to  both the 80 and 8080 ports. I thought all the cpan/Perl modules
> had  loaded without error but I guess not. I tried reloading the
> ZOOM::Z39.50  module but got a bunch of test errors this time. [snip]
>
>  Software error:
>  Can't locate ZOOM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/koha/lib
> /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8
>  /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8

> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Context.pm line

> 59.
> [snip]

I don't use Debian (or Debian-derived distributions, like Ubuntu), but
it seems to me that the Net::Z3950::ZOOM Perl module was NOT installed.

I suspect of 3 possible sources of error:

- Possible Source of Error #1 :

If, while trying to install the ZOOM Perl module, you get the following
error message (in the middle of the output of the
installation):

__________
"ERROR: Unable to call script: yaz-config If you are using a YAZ
installation from the Debian package "yaz", you will also need to
install "libyaz-dev" in order to build this module.
__________

... then, like the message mentions, you'll have to install the Debian
package "libyaz-dev" first.

After doing that, install again the Net::Z3950::ZOOM module.

- Possible Source of Error #2 :

If, while trying to install the ZOOM Perl module, you get the following
error message (in the middle of the output of the
installation):
__________
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcrypt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Net/Z3950/ZOOM/ZOOM.so] Error 1
koha:/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21# koha:/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21# lgcrypt
-bash: lgcrypt: command not found
koha:/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21# lgcrypt
-bash: lgcrypt: command not found
__________

... then, you'll have to install the libgcrypt-dev Debian package (using
apt-get). This tip was given by Chris Cormack (that worked for
LibLime) here:

[Koha] ZOOM Module
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2007-November/012784.html

After doing that, install again the Net::Z3950::ZOOM Module.

- Possible Source of Error #3 :

If you had already installed "libyaz-dev" before installing the ZOOM
Perl Module, then you may be behind a corporate firewall, and that may
be blocking the connection tests to Z3950 Servers (these connection
tests are done during the installation of the ZOOM Perl Module).

It that is the case, then you'll probably have to do a "force install"
of the Net::Z3950::ZOOM module, in a CPAN prompt / shell, like this:

# cpan

cpan[1]> force install Net::Z3950::ZOOM

I hope this helps. Please, do tell later if any of these 3 possible
sources of error actually applied to you (and which one did) and if the
proposed solution worked.

Best wishes,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net

Ricardo,
	Thanks for replying. I did get beyond this problem but only with
a kludge. I found Zoom.pm in one of my installation dirs and copied it
to /usr/share/koha/lib (or maybe one of the other dirs mentioned in the
error). Then got different error along the lines of "unable to use
[various Zoom.pm error statements] while using "strict" protocol." So I
went into Zoom.pm and commented out the offending lines regarding the
error logs and Z39.50 (since I won't need to use that anyway). Well,
since then I've been able to connect to both public (80) and admin
(8080) interfaces. I configured Koha with all the sample locations and
got a "_conn" error when I tried to do any searching. Figured this was
related to the Z39.50 I'd commented out so I went back in and deleted
all the sample locations I could (several refused to be deleted) and
added our BCL location. I loaded fifty or so MARC records and now it
does basic searches successfully. (I know, I should log my actions
better).
	I'm going to try your solution #3 when I get a chance because
that sounds like it's on target (also think I'll see if our IT dir will
open up Z39.50 ports for me. I'll report back.

Michael Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX