[Koha] Transferring data from an old version to a new one

Steve Bradwell sbradwell at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu May 8 03:48:09 NZST 2008

Hi Judith,

We have recently done the same upgrade, coming from 1.2.2 to 2.2.9. It
is a much more involved process than simply moving the data from your
old database to a new one.

We had to get copies of koha versions 2.0, 2.2, 2.2.6 and 2.2.9.

Then upgrade the database structure in steps using a script called
updatedatabase available in each version under /scripts/updater/.

We ran this script for each version using the command:

perl -I /path/to/koha[version]/modules updatedatabase

which upgrades the database structure.

In edition to upgrading the database structure with the scripts we had
to move all of our biblio records into the new marc record structure
that is created during the upgrade.

The script to do this is in /scipts/misc/koha2marc.pl we ran this script
using the command:

perl -I /path/to/koha[version]/modules koha2marc.pl -c

We ran into all kinds of errors and issues along the way, it has taken a
while, as most upgrades of this kind do. What helped was making backups
along the way of both the working code for a version and the database
for a version, for example, when we got from 1.2.2 to 2.0 we backed up
the working code and database before trying to get to 2.2 and so on.

So the trick is, upgrade database structure one version at a time, and
see if you can get the code for that version working, then at any point
in time (probably at version 2.2.9) you need to create all the marc
record data using the koha2marc.pl script.

Goodluck, it's a long process but the payoff if a much more usable and
feature rich system.

Steve.