[Koha] Help with installation on fedora 8 [and SunOS or Solaris?] (re-send)

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed May 7 01:40:35 NZST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Richard MAHONEY <r.mahoney at iconz.co.nz> wrote:
> [re-sent as yesterday morning's message hasn't yet appeared]
>

>  Dear Readers,
>
>  On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 03:50, Joshua Ferraro wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM, BWS Johnson
>
>  > >  He didn't say otherwise, Josh. He *complimented* the developers,
>  which I
>  > > tend to think is a great attitude. :)
>
>  > >  Installation issues - particularly with this problem - are not an
>  unusual
>  > > complaint in the least - it's a pain to install, plain and simple.
>  The
>  > > dependencies ought to be bundled together to make this a one, two,
>  three
>  > > process. If it's the case that LibLime doesn't want to make for an
>  easy
>  > > installation for financial interests, that's fine. But Fedora is not
>  > > strange distro in the least, nor is the complaint that it's too hard
>  > > install far afield.
>
>  > Well, we wrote both the installer and the INSTALL and INSTALL.debian
>  >  files, and that was work that we contributed without any client
>  >  sponsorship. Our goal has been to make the installation process as
>  >  easy as possible, we have no financial interest in making it hard.
>  >
>  > Koha is brain-dead easy to install on Debian, there's a step by step
>  >  guide available here, written by yours truly:
>  >
>  >
>  http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=INSTALL.debian;h=1c35e8098c561f3f563b9c8f5f7e5844c60cdab5;hb=HEAD
>  >
>  > As far as bundling the dependencies, that steps beyond our (LibLime)
>  >  domain of knowledge, and we don't have the resources to devote to it
>  >  -- even for Debian, hough some have talked about it, and I think it's
>  >  a wonderful idea.
>  >
>  > Fedora isn't a strange distro, I totally agree; but we (LibLime) don't
>  >  use it, and we don't know how to install Koha on it, so we would be
>  of
>  >  much use contributing a document or bundling of the dependencies on
>  >  it.
>  >
>  > Anyone on the list (or the dev list which I've CCed) have experience
>  >  and interest in contributing packages for Debian, RHEL, Fedora,
>  >  Mandriva, Gentoo, or any other distros?
>
>  Scanning the mail archives makes it clear that many users find Koha
>  installation and configuration non-trivial. But what surprises me in
>  all this is the apparent preference for specific Linux distros. What
>  seems to be lacking -- and I find this hard to understand -- is
>  interest in and support for Koha on SunOS or Solaris.
>
>  I can't explain why this should be the case, given that Solaris has for
>  so long been the ILS platform of choice for so many institutions.

> [...]
Well, I know of plenty of libraries running Koha on serious heavily loaded
enterprise systems, but they aren't running Sun :-).

That said, we do have a few Solaris users, and I know of one Solaris 10
user that will be coming online in the next month or two.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support