[Koha] Help with installation on fedora 8

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu May 1 12:53:36 NZST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM, BWS Johnson
>  <mhelman at illinoisalumni.org> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Salvete!
>  >
>  >
>  >  >> I was hoping to solve my library problem with an existing application.
>  >  >> It is not a full professional library application that is required here,
>  >  >> but from the experience I have had with working installations I give my
>  >  >> congratulations to developers for a good application. If I was running a
>  >  >> professional full scale library with a dedicated server, then Koha would
>  >  >> be a good choice.
>  >  >>
>  >  >> However I have spent a total of well over 300 hours trying to get an
>  >  >> installation that I am happy with. In hindsight I would have been well
>  >  >> towards an application that would have served my needs if I had put that
>  >  >> time into my own application rather than getting involved in Koha.
>  >  >Well, IMO that's not a particularly helpful attitude; there are a lot
>  >  >of hard-working
>  >  >folks in this community, and we don't happen to know much about your
>  > favorite
>  >  >flavor of LInux. For what it's worth, I just discovered the following
>  >  >French document
>  >  >for how to install Koha on Fedora:
>  >
>  >
>  >  He didn't say otherwise, Josh. He *complimented* the developers, which I
>  > tend to think is a great attitude. :)
>  >  Installation issues - particularly with this problem - are not an unusual
>  > complaint in the least - it's a pain to install, plain and simple. The
>  > dependencies ought to be bundled together to make this a one, two, three
>  > process. If it's the case that LibLime doesn't want to make for an easy
>  > installation for financial interests, that's fine. But Fedora is not a
>  > strange distro in the least, nor is the complaint that it's too hard to
>  > install far afield.
>  Well, we wrote both the installer and the INSTALL and INSTALL.debian
>  files, and that was work that we contributed without any client sponsorship.
>  Our goal has been to make the installation process as easy as possible,
>  we have no financial interest in making it hard.
>
>  Koha is brain-dead easy to install on Debian, there's a step by step guide
>  available here, written by yours truly:
>
>  http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=INSTALL.debian;h=1c35e8098c561f3f563b9c8f5f7e5844c60cdab5;hb=HEAD
>
>  As far as bundling the dependencies, that steps beyond our (LibLime) domain of
>  knowledge, and we don't have the resources to devote to it -- even for Debian,
>  hough some have talked about it, and I think it's a wonderful idea.
>
>  Fedora isn't a strange distro, I totally agree; but we (LibLime) don't use it,
>  and we don't know how to install Koha on it, so we would be of much use
> [...]
I can't vouch for it's accuracy, nor for my translation abilities, but I've
added (with permission) the Fedora 7 installation guide written by
'The Department of Computer and Information Science, Library of the
University Lyon 2, France'

I don't have a Fedora 7 system or other RedHat flavor to try this on, but
perhaps those of you who do will find it helpful:

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=INSTALL.fedora7;h=362b7eab620843f7fc775d93aca502490ddfdf9b;hb=HEAD

If you do give it a try, please feel free to submit a patch or email a
revision of the document to the list if there are changes or language
improvements to be made.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support