[Koha] Entering exiting data to koha

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 05:26:57 NZDT 2008

Dominc --

Koha is equipped to handle MARC records, the standard format for library
collection data.  It doesn't sounds like exporting MARC is a possibility for
your spreadsheet data.  You can approach this two ways:

   1. As a chance to establish fuller catalog records, or
   2. As just another hurdle to bypass.

Unsurprisingly, I recommend the former.  The availability of a more complete
and more formal record will affect the quality of search results and the
linking of external data (like book jacket images).

If you have available funds, you could acquire MARC records en masse from a
vendor like Follett.  Or if you have time, you could start pulling records
from publicly available z3950 servers.  Some small libraries will migrate to
an ILS slowly, just putting in any newly acquired items, and cataloging old
items as they have time.  It's easy enough for them to tell which system to
use (by the new barcode, for example).

I actually don't know how you would bypass using MARC at some level.  Even
if you wanted import directly to mysql, one of the fields is for the MARC
record, and it gets used regularly by the rest of the system.  Maybe someone
else can speak to that.

--Joe Atzgberger
Systems Administrator, LibLime