[Koha] Old Barcodes - Location Data and Checksum

Nathan McNew agreatnate at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 08:36:22 NZST 2008

Hi,
My library is migrating to koha from Winnebago.  I have used
bulkmarcimport.pl to import our entire collection into koha, which looks to
have been successfull.  I am running into trouble scanning in the barcodes
on our books however, because winnebago stored only the 5 digit material
number in the 852p barcode field, but the barcodes on the books contain much
more information, in what I understand to be the codabar format.

After the import, Koha now has for instance that a book's barcode is 12345;
But the barcode on the book, which we would like to keep is 3055500012345x,
where 3 means it is a book, 0555 is our location code and x is a check
digit.  In the old software typing in either the short version, 12345, or
the long version 3055500012345x, would get the same results.  Koha works
fine with the short version, but reports an invalid barcode if you use the
barcode scanner to scan in the book, since it is in the long format.  Is
there any way to get koha to interpret these barcodes correctly?

Thanks,

Nathan McNew
Jefferson Academy Charter School