[Koha] RFID and Koha 2.2.2

gsl gsl at rollinghills.lib.mo.us
Tue Jun 10 04:54:11 NZST 2008

Sorry, I don't have much other firm info to offer. I do know that 3M has
an RFID system, but it may be Windows based too, and while I would
expect it to be very good it's probably a bit pricey. Checkpoint has an
RFID system, but as I recall it's also Windows based.

Treat these comments with a little caution, I haven't looked an them too
closely recently; most of what I know except for Envisionware is just
from me visiting booths at shows and being given informational
literature. Also, I don't want to minimize Envisionware incorrectly;
they really do have a very slick, well coordinated system. Part of the
way they get it all to work together is that they specify a lot of the
components of the system, which they have integrated to work right, but
that does mean buying "stuff" from them and MS. Except for the MS
lock-in I certainly have nothing bad to say about Envisionware, even
their sales/support people seem pretty good.

Here are a few links:

http://www.ala.org/ala/lita/litamembership/litaigs/rfidtechnology/index.cfm
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/library/home/products/rfid_system/
http://www.checkpointsystems.com/
http://www.bibliothecarfid.com/

As Koha is just now getting off the ground it seems like a really
opportune time for vendors of RFID and public access time/management
systems to start working with it and establish good working
relationships with the Koha support companies like LibLime and others.

Greg