[Koha] Collection codes / Item types (3.0)

Cab Vinton bibliwho at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 07:56:44 NZST 2008

We're a new Koha library and have a question about how item types &
ccodes work -- Can more than one item type or ccode be assigned to an
item?

My understanding is that the answer is No for item types and Yes for ccodes.

This item at Stow-Munroe Falls, for example, seems to have two
collection codes assigned to it, Adult CDROM Document (ADOC) and
CDROM's (ROM): http://opac.smfpl.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?bib=10656

This has come up because, as a library automating for the first time,
we're just starting to wrap our heads around how we can use Koha to
provide the search functionality we're looking for.

Specifically, we'd like to be able to limit searches by a number of
different criteria, which are not necessarily mutually exclusive,
e.g.:

Format: Books, Movies (DVD vs. VHS), Music, Audiobooks (CD vs.
cassette vs. digital), Serials, Websites, etc.

Collections: Large Print, Biography, Local History, Reference, New Books

Genre: Fiction, Nonfiction (& ideally subgenres -- mysteries, romance, etc.)

Audience: Adult, Young Adult, Kids (pre-school, elementary school,
pre-adolescent)

The idea is to provide this functionality through limits based on a
variety of methods: checkboxes, pulldown menus, & facets (Refine Your
Search).

I'm new to Koha & I've forgotten 95% of whatever I learned about MARC
back in library school, so there are too many moving parts for me
right now. I'd love to learn more if other libraries out there have
figured out a good solution to allow this type of granularity.

With thanks,

Cab Vinton
Sanbornton Public Library
Sanbornton, NH