[Koha] Investigating Koha: import formats

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Thu Jun 5 09:15:46 NZST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Lucy Pearson
<lucy.r.pearson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> My Koha question: Is it possible to import data to Koha in CSV or
> tab-delimited format? Unfortunately, none of my existing data has MARC
> records - I can export into those tewo formats, so I need a database which
> can accept those.

Koha cannot load CSV or text files of bib records directly.  However,
you could use a tool such as MarcEdit
(http://oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php) to convert a
CSV file to MARC format, then load the results into Koha.

> I strongly suspect the answer is no, but I wanted to be absolutely sure
> before I abandoned Koha completely. In addition, I'm hoping that if this
> isn't possible, this list of tech-savvy librarians might have good advice on
> alternatives. At this stage, I don't actually need a full-scale LMS - I just
> want a web app I can import my data to and which will allow users to seacrch
> by title, author, etc. (I've already explored LibraryThing, but for various
> reasons it's not really suitable.) It needs to be free software or very
> cheap, because we're so low on funds and this is an interim project.If I
> could get my data into Koha,a it would be perfect, because the full-scale
> LMS features are there if we need them, and the organisation would be able
> to buy in support if they found themseves without enough tech-savvy in
> house.

Would you be running Koha on a Windows box or a Linux box?

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton