[Koha] Hierarchical structure of UNIMARC records in Koha – is it possible and how

Janusz januszop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:56:08 NZST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to replace an old-fashioned library cataloging system
with Koha 3.0, but I am not sure, weather Koha will suit my needs.  My
records are in UNIMARC format.  The library uses a hierarchical
structure of bibliographic records to store the information about
series, issues of serials, content of cataloged books (i.e. for each
article/chapter in the book an individual bibliographic record is
created and field 463$0 was used to point upwards at the in
bibliographic records of the issue/book;  461$0 was used to point from
individual issues record to the record of a serial).

Installing Koha (3.0 from git, w/Zebra, UNIMARC flavor), importing and
indexing records went well (all records went to
biblio/biblioitems/items tables), despite of suspicious entries in log
file while importing and then querying the database:

23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'tpubdate' not found in attset(s)
23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'Modified-code' not found in attset(s)
23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'char-encoding' not found in attset(s)
23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'char-encoding' not found in attset(s)
23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'char-encoding' not found in attset(s)
23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'script-Title' not found in attset(s)
23:15:32-23/07 zebrasrv(29) [warn] Index 'Country-heading' not found
in attset(s)

etc.

The biggest challenge however seems to be the re-building the
relations/hierarchy between records and to present the dependencies to
the users and librarian in Koha interface (i.e. to have a link upwards
from individual chapter/article to the book/issue of a serials it is a
part of etc. and, on the other hand side, to be able to review the
book/issue and to be presented with the list of chapters/articles).

My questions are:

1.Does Koha, at the current stage of development, supports that kind
of inter-record hierarchical dependencies, especially
book<-->chapters?

2.If yes, how could it be applied?

(N.B. my study of Koha led me to the Link feature in tag definition,
but it seems not to work properly:

1) the query generated by the little glass that appears after a
subfield in MARC view, if the Link feature is active, (e.g. 200f:
http://k3:8080/cgi-bin/koha/catalogue/search.pl?op=do_search&idx=200f,phr&type=intranet&q=<autor_name>)
gives no results, whereas performed with the same author from Normal
view (http://k3:8080/cgi-bin/koha/catalogue/search.pl?q=au:<author_name>)
works OK.

2) The little glass does not appear (AND the subfield does not appear
AT ALL) if it is 46x$0 subfield (although the subfield is present in
the record and it is marked to be shown in MARK framework definition).
)

I would appreciate any help / suggestions.

Greetings,

Janusz Kaczmarek
Warsaw