[Koha] Using Koha in consortium

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 02:57:41 NZST 2008

Henry --

I'm glad to hear your consortium has installed and is trying to set up
Koha.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Henry Lam <henry at silas.org.sg> wrote:

> Can Koha be used in a consortium environment?

Yes.  There are other consortia using and currently deploying Koha.

> Is there any special procedure in setting up the environment?

Probably, but most of the difficulty is in setting up the consortium and
agreeing on cataloging practices.

> I have just installed the Koha 3.0.  It seems that it is a two-level
> structure: Group and Library.  'Group' is used to indicate a library .
> 'Library' is actually a branch in a library.  In theory, we can set up
> different 'Groups' for different libary members.  But we are using a shared
> catalog, therefore, we may need a three-level structure.

Nothing you have said indicates that you need any structure whatsoever.  I'm
sure it is clear to you the various constraints and differences amongst your
member institutions, but I have no idea what they might expect.  So the
question is "what protections do you need?"

Our French colleagues make use of the IndpendantBranches system preference
to help protect consortium members' patron data and records.  This may
satisfy your needs also.

--Joe Atzberger