[Koha] Fwd: Information about Barcode

Chris Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at liblime.com
Fri Jul 18 13:48:00 NZST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Mohsin Irshad <node.node at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> We are working to shift our library system to KOHA. We had a
> previously installed system by Data Trek, and it is 12 years old now.
> Our problem is that we have a barcode present on each book and that
> was used by the previous system. We want to use the barcodes present
> on each book , in our new system. But KOHA is generating barcodes
> automatically and does not give us option of entering barcodes
> manually while entering the data of each book. Can anyone help us in
> this regard ?

Hi Mohsin,
  The auto-generation is done by a plug-in which can be changed. To do so,
you will need to edit the MARC framework you are using. The barcode is
stored in 952$p. This can be edited by going to Administration/MARC
Frameworks and selecting the framework you want to edit. Then search for the
952 field and select the 'Subfields' link to the right of the page. From the
bottom of the next page select 'Edit subfields.' On the next page, select
the $p subfield. Then click the 'Display more constraints' link at the
bottom of that page. Under 'Advanced Constraints:' you are looking for the
'plugin' field. You should see barcode.pl selected. If you open the
pull-down list, at the very top is a blank field. Select that field to
disable the plugin. Click the 'Save Changes' button at the top of the page.
That should disable the barcode auto-generation for you.

HTH

--
Chris Nighswonger

LibLime