[Koha] Library Database for Australian Water Environments

Lenora Oftedahl OFTL at critfc.org
Fri Jul 11 01:21:09 NZST 2008

You'll probably get some other answers, but I thought I'd tackle the inhouse reports question.

I also have loads of inhouse reports and unpublished materials (about 1/3 of my collection).  Yes, I have to use the MARC record to describe these items, but I was able to customise Koha so that only the title, barcode and format are required fields.

You are welcome to check out our catalog: http://www.fishlib.org

It is a work in progress as the switch from the previous software (InMagic) was not smooth.

Lenora

--
***************************************
Lenora A. Oftedahl, MLS MEPM
StreamNet Regional Librarian
Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission
729 NE Oregon St, Ste 190
Portland, OR  97232
503-736-3581 / ARIEL: 207.173.155.8
503-731-1260 FAX
OFTL at critfc.org          http://www.fishlib.org
*************************************
"One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity"
**************************************
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
                                  --(Charles Schultz)
**************************************
"The problem with adults is that they are contaminated by experience."
    --Kumi Naidoo, General Secretary and CEO of CIVICUS
**************************************

>>> "Frances Sandeman" <Frances.Sandeman at austwaterenv.com.au> 7/8/2008 9:02:07 PM >>>
Hi,

My name is Frances and I am a Library Technician representing Australian
Water Environments.

We are looking at setting up a Library Database and are in the
preliminary stages. We are currently in the process of researching and
looking at various library database systems.  We have an excel
spreadsheet to store information and have over 3,000 entries which
include reports, books and journals.  We also have a GIS Mapping
electronic data and an excel spreadsheet for papers.  We have a CD
Collection and would like to be able to index and scan photos and
integrate all forms of media into one Library database system for AWE.
Cost is a factor.

My question is can we set up a module or customise a KOHA database so
that we can add inhouse reports as this is the bulk of our library
collection and provide a link to the job nos. of the reports that have
been archived? I know this is a rather obvious question but when I
looked at the Acquisitions module it didnÆt seem specific enough for our
company and was wondering if we can customise it to suit our needs.  We
have a separate Administration and Accounting process and most our our
reports are created and produced by ourselves, Australian Water
Environments.  We are the vendor in most cases.

Would you send us more information about the KOHA  database including
costs and licensing agreements.

Also with Data Entry, how much data can be stored with ease of entry?

  IÆm just making enquiries at this stage.

 Thankyou.

Regards

Frances Sandeman

administrator/accounts

Australian Water Environments

Unit 1, 198 Greenhill Rd, Eastwood, SA 5063

P: (08) 8378 8000  F: (08) 8357 8988  M: 0405 510 726

E:  francessandeman at austwaterenv.com.au

W: www.austwaterenv.com.au

This email and any file transmitted with it are confidential to the
sender and the intended recipient and may be privileged or subject to
copyright of the sender or a third party.

If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender
immediately via return email or by calling 08 8378 8000.