[Koha] Re: [KUDOS] Google Talk via FaceBook for KUDOS meetings

Deb Bergeron bergeron at macalester.edu
Tue Feb 5 08:56:28 NZDT 2008

Van,

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't worked with Moodle, but some of our
libraries have.  What we currently have for the Koha Community is:

    * A website
    * Listserv
    * FaceBook presence
    * bit of a presence on the Koha dev wiki

What the users want is:

    * a place for online meetings
          o a simple solution would be an IRC channel and a few of the
            Koha developers suggested the Koha IRC.  This would be
            perfect, but I'm not sure how many regular staff librarians
            would be comfortable with this.  We could give it a try.
            What do you think?
    * updates of any user group meetings
    * a user group that is not company sponsored (at the moment that
      would be LibLime)
    * a set of bylaws and an actual non-profit group established

Have said all of this, the biggest issue is that staff librarians (i.e.
non-technical librarians want to participate in the Koha User Group
(KUDOS)).  And to have them participate sort of requires that all the
components of the the user group is confined in one area.  So, that's
the quandry.

With moodle, everyone can have a login, it has the chat capability,
including archiving.  Documentation archiving.  It would also provide a
method for tutorials and providing real-time help to anyone who wants
it.  This could work. I can try setting up a Moodle instance sometime in
the next week.  I'll let you know when I've completed it.  Would you be
willing to help test?

Other stuff:
I believe there may be a meeting at PLA in Minneapolis.  Are you coming
to PLA?  If so, there may be an opportunity to be involved in the
establishment of the user group bylaws and non-profit group.  I'm not
organizing this one due to other commitments.

Additionally, I am on the planning committee for the Midwest Technology
Conference that will be held in May/June timeframe.  Part of that track
could include setting up user groups and how they help the OSS
community.  I don't think this has been done.

Thanks,

Deb