[Koha] installing Koha 2.2.8 on Debian etch MySQL 5.0.32

Jim L jimlavalle at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 06:16:34 NZDT 2008

This is my first attempt I'm using perl installer.pl

Everything goes fine except it doesn't create the mysql tables

It asks for mysql root password but doesn't accept it.

Here is the beginning of the error message:

ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 772: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'return char(4) default NULL,
  renewals tinyint(4) default NULL,
  timestamp tim' at line 9

DBD::mysql::db do failed: Table 'Koha.categoryitem' doesn't exist at
scripts/updater/updatedatabase line 1612.
DBD::mysql::db do failed: Table 'Koha.issuingrules' doesn't exist at
scripts/updater/updatedatabase line 1613.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jim L