[Koha] Importing records

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:17:13 NZDT 2008

John --

Koha allows you to add an arbitrary number of z3950 sources and search them
individually or in arbitrary groups.  But the type of "shotgun" approach you
describe is not currently supported by Koha.

I suspect it is not the kind of workflow a professional cataloger would
undertake, mainly because there is no oversight of the quality or accuracy
of data injected into the database.  Occasionally ISBN's do get reused, so
without other criteria or human review, you could conceivably import bogus
data.  That being said, I like the idea of a mass import by ISBN from text
file, breaking it apart into two results:

   - a group of staged records where ISBN is confidently matched, and
   - a text file with the subset of unmatched or ambiguous ISBNs

For now though, it'll have to be something for developers to mull over.  You
may want to check if there is any similar functionality in
‡biblios<http://biblios.org/>(or plans for it).
-- Joe