[Koha] FreeBSD Dependencies

Krishnan M kmlist at yahoo.in
Mon Dec 22 10:36:06 NZDT 2008

Hi Patrick,

This is something that i'd like to collaborate on, since there is some local interest in getting Koha to work on FreeBSD. i have never done it myself, but i have now installed Koha several times on Fedora and once on Ubuntu.

For Fedora, i used the INSTALL.fedora7 text that is bundled with the .tar.gz. And for Ubuntu, i used the article at the wiki.

Installation boils down to the following main sections:
1) Preparing the basic system (nothing special)
2) Ensuring UTF-8 usage (there's an encoding scratchpad at the wiki)
3) Installing and checking Apache and MySQL, including creating the database and user
4) Installing some needed software (such as gcc, libxml, etc.)
5) Installing the needed Perl modules (there's a long list)
6) Finally: Koha itself...phew...

Looking at one of the install guides will give you a feel, but be prepared for a long install session(s)

regards,
krishnan