[Koha] Community Feedback

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Dec 19 04:34:25 NZDT 2008

>> ... over 90% of Koha is done by programmers who work
>> on Koha as a full time job (or two) to put meals on the table.
>
> I'm not sure how true this is anymore. It's a lot larger project now than it
> was a few years ago. Those same programmers that are putting meals on the
> table have also put free code back in. The list of the top contributors
> offers an interesting testimony over time.

The Koha project is larger now in large part due to the growth of Koha
support companies like Liblime and BibLibre. As more libraries move to
Koha with those companies' help, we're gaining contributors from those
libraries. Those contributors, like me, are doing work that is both
paid work and contribution: My library pays me to work on Koha (among
other things), and the work I do is contributed to the project. But
essentially we're working on Koha as part of a paying job. I don't
think it accurate to say that there are many people working on Koha
for free.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer