[Koha] Freight in aquistions?

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu Dec 18 02:50:23 NZDT 2008

Salvete!

>I don't recall that we did that specifically, although we did usually
do
>custom templates for clients. We still should have some systems running
>simple acquisitions - however they don't work with the MARC stuff - my
>recollection is that once the MARC stuff came at 2.x acquisitions
>started to come unstuck because it had no "native" awareness of MARC.
So
>it would work as long as you had MARC off - but not with MARC on.
>
>I'm guessing that with later versions it got dropped as that was too
>hard to reconcile as most people moved to MARC.
>
>We have some non MARC systems still running and they use simple (and
>possibly even some original "normal") acquisisitions.

*nod* So this would mean that it was nothing custom, it was simply an
option that folks using MARC wouldn't have utilised and thought perhaps
was never working. Even if it _were_ custom, and *weren't* contributed
back, this is an open source project, folks are free to do that. It's
nice of them to contribute things back to the main code, it's terribly
helpful of them to do so, we appreciate users that chose this path the
most, but if they're running it in their own Library in an altered
fashion, that's their right. I'd also venture that this sort of custom
experimentation is useful to the entire community in that it points to
functionality that is crucial to at least one Library, which stinks to
me of is possibly useful to all Libraries of that type and size.

While it would be nice for someone that commits code to shepherd that
commitment ad infinitum, we do still owe them thanks for submitting it
in the first place. So thank you. I know my CSI professors would point
out that this is why comments exist, since there is no immortal
programmer. I'd much rather welcome a well commented one time
contribution than not get that sort of gift since we tie a maintenance
shackle to it.

Finally, I'd again like to point out that out and out removal of
functionality is not a bug solution. If it were bugged, then I as a user
would like whatever bug (or more likely combination of bugs) it was
fixed before something new was added to the core programme. If removal
is the only option, I don't think it's asking to much to take a poll on
this list instead of solely discussing things on the developer's list.

Librarians other than me are very patient. One of my favourite things to
relate in terms of new features is the 27 year bookmobile feature
implementation. Yes, we're waiting for it. Yes, we've not forgot this
year. Do you have it yet? No? When will you have it done? It's been a
while... The pickle is in telling us something will be done by a certain
date and then not meeting that, OR in promising a feature that you never
deliver upon, in which case we use our Awesome Powers of Nagging.

Cheers,
Brooke