[Koha] how to connect MARC records to a branch?

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Dec 9 10:06:18 NZDT 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Jeffrey LePage <jeffrey_lepage at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response:
>

> Joe said...
>> I think you may be misunderstanding the problem.   It
>> appears you have
>> imported MARC data for biblio records, but not (item)
>> holdings...
>
> Yes, I have imported MARC records.  8038 records to be precise, which matches what I expected.
>
> Also, when I search the catalogue I DO get results.  However, on the results page the Location column just says "No Items".  When I click on an individual item, the Holdings tab shows "No physical items for this record".  However, I can edit an item and assign it a "Current location".
>
> As you say, I have bibliographic records, but no item records.  I'd like to be able to tell Koha:
> For each of those MARC records I gave you earlier, please create an entry stating that x copies are currently at my library branch.  And also, please use my barcodes.
>

>> The difference you report between STAFF and OPAC results
>> suggests that you
>> may not have moved the imported records out of the
>> reservoir.
>
> I'm seeing no difference in the data between STAFF and OPAC; I merely meant that I'm working in STAFF right now and haven't checked OPAC.
>

>> So basically what you need to do is import items data.  I don't know what
>> means are available to you in Sagebrush Athena to extract that info, if > you haven't already.
>
> Assuming that I could get Athena to give me items info (rather than the bibliographic data contained with the MARC records), how would I go about importing this?
>
> Athena exports MARC records in what it claims is an ISO2709/MARC21 file.  It claims to always export the same data, but it does allow you to order the data differently (by barcode, call #, etc).
>
> I used tools -> Stage Marc Records for Import
> Then i used tools -> Managed Staged Records -> import into catalogue.
>
> After a _very_ long time, 'import into catalogue' completed.  I can search the catalogue, and I see the books.  Yay.

IIRC, Athena stores item-level data in a 852 field. Koha expects it in
a 952 field, so you'll have to do some manipulations of your MARC data
pre-import to get it into the right form. To find out Koha's
expectations, navigate to the MARC Bibliographic Formats and do a
search on 952.

Cheers,

Josh

>> --Joe
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Jeffrey LePage
>> <jeffrey_lepage at yahoo.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > First, an intro:
>> > These days I do database stuff for a living, mostly
>> Oracle.  I spent a year
>> > doing web coding professionally: LAMP, where P=Perl.
>> I'm installing Koha
>> > for a small charter school.  It's replacing
>> Sagebrush  Athena.
>> >
>> > Now my problem:
>> > I successfully installed Koha and imported MARC
>> records from Sagebrush
>> > Athena.  I can see the records in the database tables
>> biblio and
>> > biblioitems.  I can also see the records when I
>> "Search the Catalog" from
>> > the administrative site (not the OPAC).  However, the
>> location column in the
>> > search results page says "No Items".
>> >
>> > If I understand the schema correctly, the items table
>> has info regarding
>> > barcode, holdingbranch, homebranch.  My items table is
>> EMPTY.  How do I tell
>> > the system that all my marc records have
>> holdingbranch=homebranch=<my
>> > library> ?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jeff LePage

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support