[Koha] How to sort out item types and colelctions

Sharon Moreland smoreland at nekls.org
Thu Dec 4 05:04:39 NZDT 2008

We use four elements to help classify materials in our shared catalog
(15 unique libraries with unique collections).
For most libraries, the call number helps identify where in the
library a collection is housed.  We set up the shelving location (LOC
authorized value table) to designate both location and age: Childrens,
Cataloging, Adult or Young Adult (only a few of our libraries
interfile adult and juvenile materials).  The other elements are Item
Type, which is very broad and Collection Code (CCODE) to designate
genre or material type.

CCode examples: Western, Romance, DVD, VHS, etc.

Item Type examples:  Book, Audiobook, Newbook (no renewals),
equipment, magazine, etc.

So, an adult non-fiction book would be: call number 000 ABC, Item
type: BOOK, Shelving location: Adult, and CCODE: Nonfiction

I hope this helps.

Sharon Moreland
Technology Consultant
Northeast Kansas Library System