[Koha] Cron Job Questions Koha 3 with Zebra on Ubuntu 7.10

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Thu Aug 28 15:45:49 NZST 2008

Do note that the current zebraqueue_daemon script is only suitable for
(relatively)
low-circulation libraries.  This daemon process updates the zebra index
as soon as a record is modified in your database, but is limited to updating
a single record at a time.  Since the record is modified with every circ
transaction
(so that it holds current status information), running this daemon process
is not
possible if you are (or may be) performing more than 30 transactions/minute
(on run-of-the-mill hardware).

So, unless you are a single (or few)-site, low-transaction library ( << 30
transactions/minute ),
the rebuild_zebra -z  cron script should be run rather than the
zebraqueue_daemon.  Obviously,
there's room to experiment here; beefing up the hardware could change things
significantly, and
I'm throwing numbers off the top of my head, not reading from a spec sheet.

( and to be clear, a transaction is 1 checkout or return / 1 patron , not n
checkouts or returns / patron ).

HTH

Ryan

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:40 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> "Bruce Raymond" <braymond at regisjesuit.com> wrote:
> > When a new item is added to the catalog it is not showing up until the
> > rebuild_zebra.pl is run.  The staff doing the cataloging would like to
> > be able to have access to the records immediately.
> >
> > 1.        What cron jobs or other procedures should be running, and how
> > often should they run, to enable the records to update right away?
>
> I think the zebraqueue_daemon.pl should be running to enable the
> records to update rightaway.  It is usually started by
> koha-zebraqueue-ctl.sh and requires the "daemon" package to be
> installed on debian and ubuntu.
>
> Hope that helps,
> --
> MJ Ray (slef)
> Webmaster for hire, statistician and online shop builder for a small
> worker cooperative http://www.ttllp.co.uk/ http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
> (Notice http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html) tel:+44-844-4437-237

Ryan Higgins

LibLime * Open-Source Solutions for Libraries
Featuring KohaZOOM ILS
888-564-2457 x704