[Koha] E-library - using Koha as a digital library

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Fri Apr 25 14:33:10 NZST 2008

Hi
>          Can any one Use as a document manager or digital library in koha.
> Thanks in advance:-

Yes. We've got several client organisations using Koha as a digital
library, and we use one ourselves.

There are some issues however. Koha doesn't have an easy browse/upload
mechanism for adding the actual files (PDF's etc), so we use it with our
CMS.

We get the files up to the webserver using the CMS, and then catalogue
them in Koha. We've done a little custom work to get the CMS to pass the
core details (like file path name etc) through to Koha to make that part
of things easier.

You then catalogue etc in Koha as you would for any other web link.

Being a digital library isn't really what Koha is best at. If you have a
mixed library - some physical assets, some digital then it can handle
both. You just need to make sure you have an itemtype that is "Web",
then Koha will put in the URL/link to the file on the results screens in
place of the barcode.

The only provisio on that is it's what we had our 2.? doing, whether the
latest versions have that functionality or not I'm not sure.

There is of course also a lot of Koha functionality that you don't need
for a digital library - like circulations.

We (Katipo) have been making a piece of software that we think is
complementary to Koha (Although it doesn't use the same programming
framework). We call it Kete and it's aimed much more squarely at the
digital archive/library space. It's also open source, and you're welcome
to check it out at www.kete.net.nz.

Cheers
Rachel

--