[Koha] Koha in a Special Collections Library

Fred King phred at philobiblios.net
Tue Apr 22 23:57:52 NZST 2008

[I started to send this directly to Thomas Green, but decided to send it to
the list as well, since it might be of use to some folks. My apologies if it
isn't.]

First, sorry for the delay in responding. I've been multitasking at the very
limits of my capacity for the past few days. :-)

I started looking at Koha last summer as a possible replacement for the
medical library where I work, and then I got interested in using it for a
couple of my own projects. First, when I'm not doing medical library stuff,
I take my photographs around to craft shows, where I sell enough to make it
interesting, though not enough to quit my day job. I'm working on designing
a Koha catalog of my photographs, complete with subject headings, so I can,
for example, put in "cherry trees" and get all the cherry tree pictures. (I
live in the Washington, DC, area, so cherry tree pictures are very popular.)
So far, I've designed the MARC structure and the biblio entry forms to
accommodate photographs, and now I have to put the data in. There are
probably better photo database programs, but this is mostly a way to teach
myself Koha.

Second, I've been cataloging my own book collection since about 1992, and
the next project is to transfer it from MS Access to Koha. That one is still
in the "one of these days I want to do it" stage. It's not exactly a special
collection, but I am going to have to design some specialized MARC fields
for some of the information.

If there's any interest in how I'm doing either, I'd be happy to write up my
experiences and add them to the Koha documentation. They're both kind of
strange projects, but someone might get some use out of them, and I'd like
to be able to contribute to the Koha project in some way. I don't know when
I'll be finished, though.

I started out with the 2.2.9 VMWare version, which I highly recommend to
practice on. All you have to do is install the VMWare player, open the
image, get the IP address using ifconfig, and you're ready to go. The best
part is that when you make an absolute mess of things, you can just wipe out
the VMWare image and start over. (Completely over, that is, from the very
beginning, but I tended to make an absolute mess before I had gotten very
far, so I hadn't invested a lot of time in it.) You can also save an image,
make a copy, and make a mess of *that* one. You'll lose some things, but not
everything.

Right now, I'm using the Windows version, mainly because I'm more familiar
with Windows than Linux, and the Windows version works better as a
standalone system on my (Windows) laptop. YMMV.

Hope this helps,

Fred King
phred at philobiblios.net