[Koha] What happened to my database?

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Fri Apr 18 08:47:57 NZST 2008

Hi George

A change has been made to the way authority records are handled:
Now if you have authority control on a given MARC subfield, the
editor will not allow you to enter a value that is not in your authorities
database.  Koha 3 alpha  allowed this.

This behavior is related to the system preference 'bibliosaddauthorities'.

I would consider the behavior you're seeing a  bug, and I'm sure it will be
addressed in short order.  For the moment, you'll want to remove any
thesaurus
links you have defined in your MARC frameworks to avoid this behavior.

The default framework ships with authority control activated for quite a
number
of fields.  This will likely change before the general release.

Regards,

Ryan Higgins
LibLime

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM, George Adams <g_adams27 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.  I've upgraded from Koha 3 alpha to the beta, which in the
> process upgraded the database from 3.0000052 to 3.0000067.  Everything
> has been fine up till now - searching for records works fine, check-in
> and check-out is fine, etc.
>
> But today, I noticed that when I tried to update an item in the catalog
> (the first time I'd tried it since the upgrade), the resulting entry
> was a mess.  To boil the problem down to its essence, look at this:
>
> Here is the MARC entry for our "HOW SHOULD WE THEN LIVE" DVD
>
> 000:   02065nam a22002297a 4500
> 001:
> 003:   OSt
> 005:   20080402003158.0
> 006:
> 007:
> 008:   080402t        xxu||||| |||| 00| 0 eng d
> 040
>   c:  DSW
> 100
>   a:  Schaeffer, Dr. Francis
> 245
>   a:  How Should We Then Live?
> 260
>   b:  Gospel Films
>   c:  1961
> 300
>   a:  10 episodes on 2 DVDs - 6 hours total
> 500
>   a:  Dr. Schaeffer's sweeping epic on the rise and decline of ...
> 520
>   a:  After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, ...
> 650
>   a:  History
> 942
>   2:  ddc
>   c:  DVD

> Now I do the following steps:
>
> - Go to the Cataloguing page, find the "Chariots of Fire" entry, and
>  click "Edit Biblio"
>
> - On the next page ("Edit MARC Record Number 35..."), I make no
>  changes, but simply hit the "Save" button.
>
> That's all.  And here is the MARC record that is stored as a result:

> 000:   02380nam a22004937a 4500
> 001:
> 003:   OSt
> 005:   20080402003158.0
> 006:
> 007:
> 008:   080402t        xxu||||| |||| 00| 0 eng d
> 040
>   c:  DSW
> 100
>   a:  4
> 110
>   a:  b
> 111
>   a:  c
> 130
>   a:  l
> 245
>   a:  How Should We Then Live?
> 260
>   b:  Gospel Films
>   c:  1961
> 300
>   a:  10 episodes on 2 DVDs - 6 hours total
> 440
>   a:  n
> 500
> [...]

Ryan Higgins

LibLime * Open-Source Solutions for Libraries
Featuring KohaZOOM ILS
888-564-2457 x704