[Koha] Vendor Question

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Apr 11 21:10:09 NZST 2008

MJ Ray wrote:

> Large attachments might
> help close the list off to those on slow connections, and direct
> marketing might help close the list off from non-commercial networks.

MJ's point about slow connections must not be taken lightly.

Many third world (*our* term, sorry) countries have limited
access to the Internet. They would be lucky to get a 56 Kb/s
modem. Hello to Tibet, Nepal, India, Sri Lank, Laos, Viet Nam,
Thailand, etc etc and Nigeria, Zambia etc in Africa!

Mailing lists are and always have been intended for the rapid
dissemination of minimal amounts of *TEXT* information to many
members at the same time. Attaching 1.0 MB attachments can
slow that access of these members by many factors.

Assume that our mailing list has 5000 members. That 1 MB attachment
becomes 5 GB of data transfer that the koha.org server has to handle.
In addition to the hundreds and thousands of other messages
and broadcasts it has to do daily. And the web requests, etc.

It is called resource conservation.

And, of course, binary attachments are a well-known vector
of viral infection on Windows computers. Not that anyone involved
in this firebattle attempted to send a virus.

As a matter of fact, it is apparent that most of this bluey (Aus.)
is lost on the OP!

> I'm surprised attachments aren't held for moderation by the list
> server.

Attachements should be discarded automatically.

The email system != the web.

cheers
rickw