[Koha] Google Apps

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 02:55:02 NZST 2008

Jim (and Andrew) --

Thanks for the clarification.  This is very interesting news indeed!

In current form, GAE would not be suitable for an ILS like Koha (even if we
magically ported it to python), because of limitations on the data
structure.  Specifically, "Note that the App Engine datastore is not a
relational database":
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/whatisgoogleappengine.html

It may be possible to reimagine MARC, circ, holding and patron data under
the "datastore" model, but this seems like a serious impediment for now.  I
suspect Google will expand the breadth of service options once the basic
Engine is established and popularized, so maybe mysql will become available
later (perhaps w/ additional cost).

A "Google App Engine" based ILS probably would require a distinct project
and developer community.  I actually think a pure python port of Koha would
be virtually impossible to achieve, based on the large number of underlying
dependencies that would also have to be ported.  It would take so long to
accomplish that it would not be valuable (let alone current) by the time it
was finished.  So we'll see what it looks like when they decide to support
perl!

--joe