[Koha] problem importing marc records

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Tue Apr 8 07:37:49 NZST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Huck <dhuckaby at hvja.org> wrote:
>  honestly having no clue what they do/did were used for...
>  I assumed(yes we know what that means :) that these were sort of
>  temp/log files of what mysql-bin was doing ...so in essence recording
>  every single transaction or something...
>  and the one with the highest number kept incrementing...and would get to
>  it's size limit it seems every 5 min...

These are in fact DB log files that MySQL uses to record all
transactions, and are meant to be used for backup and recovery.
Collectively they're called the MySQL binary log.  See
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/binary-log.html for the full
details.

>  so right now I'm monitoring and deleting each of the ones below the
>  highest numbered(in filename)...attempting to stave-off the 'out of disk
>  space' which was causing this process to 'hang' on Friday.

The canonical way to delete them is to do a 'reset master' from the
mysql prompt.  You can also change settings in my.cnf such as log_bin
and binlog_ignore_db to turn off these logs while you do the MARC
imports.  Note that turning off the binary log on a production server
should not be done lightly, as it is an important mechanism to use for
database recovery.

Regards,

Galen
--